Simon is a qualified Actuary and Head of Longevity Risk Transactions.
His main role at Barnett Waddingham is to be a lead adviser on regulated transactions to manage longevity risk. This includes buy-ins, buyouts and longevity swaps, starting from initial feasibility through to contract benefit design, transaction structure, selection of preferred provider and ongoing support services.
Simon believes that a successful transaction relies on clear and pragmatic advice, well-developed relationships and an open attitude. He’s worked closely with many of the key parties in the pensions insurance industry, including nearly all of the insurers, reinsurers and leading law firms in this area.
- Involved in the implementation of c.£25bn of longevity swaps over the last seven years from both a consulting and reinsurer perspective, ranging from the smallest ever (£50m) to the second largest ever (£10bn)
- Led on the reinsurer execution for Lloyd’s Banking Group’s recent £10bn longevity swap
- Worked on numerous buy-ins and buyouts, including two of the biggest in the UK at the time, for TRW and Philips
- Longevity Analytics Leader for Mercer, responsible for how Mercer modelled and consulted in that area
- Developed Mercer and Zurich’s streamlined longevity hedging solution or smaller pension schemes and Mercer’s captive insurance solution for larger bespoke cases