Richard is a qualified actuary, advising pension scheme trustees and corporate sponsors on managing the risk exposure within pension arrangements.
Richard is a consulting actuary with a wide practice advising pension scheme trustees and corporate sponsors on managing the risk exposure within pension arrangements.
Richard provides a full range of services to pension scheme trustees including valuations, longevity analysis, review of actuarial factors and ongoing financial management and governance.
He acts as lead advisor on regulated transactions to secure longevity risk; including purchases of buy-in and buy-out insurance and providing advice on GMP equalisation to a number of pension schemes and to insurers for up to 8,000 members. His work covers contract benefit design, transaction structure, selection of preferred provider and support services for in-force multi-£billion longevity swaps.
Richard has extensive experience in pensions litigation matters, including preparation of expert witness advice in professional negligence cases and in Part 8 claims.
He has a keen understanding of the needs and commercial considerations of corporates when it comes to managing their pension obligations. He is praised by trustee boards for his pragmatic approach, cutting through to focus on the advice that matters to trustees and to member outcomes.
- BHS2 - lead advisor on transaction to secure £800 million buy-out of a scheme created following the BHS insolvency
- expert witness support in the matter of British Airways plc vs. Paul Spencer & Others (trustees of the British Airways Pension Scheme) 2016
- scheme actuary services and main point of contact for ongoing advice to trustees on schemes of up to £500 million
- Lloyd’s of London market - lead advisor on a £40 million buy-out for part of an industry-wide scheme, designing a new solution for managing buy-out risk for a S75 debt triggered by corporate acquisition
- Alitalia – designed a 'PPF plus' buy-in solution for a scheme of £50 million; only the second transaction of this structure
- litigation advisory services in professional negligence and Part 8 claims
- advice on stochastic valuations of share options
- analysis of the effective operation of in-house administration functions
- advice on GMP equalisation to a number of pension schemes and to insurers for up to 8,000 members
- support for M&A transactions