As the Head of Business Development at Barnett Waddingham, Jane applies her many years’ experience in building and developing client relationships to understand client needs and identify if and how Barnett Waddingham can assist them.
Jane’s approach to business development adopts similar principles to that for advising clients on technical matters - first understand the objectives of the key stakeholders, including whether there any specific needs or “red-lines” to consider, before introducing the most appropriate solution and delivery model.
Alongside her leadership role Jane will continue to provide advice to a portfolio of organisations on a wide range of pension issues, primarily related to their legacy defined benefit pension plans. She has advised companies on benefit design changes, scheme merger and harmonisation, liability management, scheme funding negotiations, longevity transactions, M&A activity and accounting disclosures. In addition, Jane historically advised trustees and therefore has a good understanding of the approach trustees and their advisers might adopt.
In her 30-plus years in consultancy, she has worked to understand the needs of the full spectrum of clients from listed global multinationals to small family-owned businesses with assets ranging from £3 billion to £20 million. Jane’s extensive experience, objective and proactive approach has helped her to become a trusted consultant to a wide range of UK & multi-national businesses. Now, as part of the leadership of Barnett Waddingham, Jane will influence what services we bring to our clients of the future with a continued focus on delivering both innovation and value for money.
- Advice to range of sponsors on steps need to consider and implement closure to defined benefit accrual including liaison with other advisers.
- Advice to UK subsidiary of a multinational employer on management across multiple legacy schemes including harmonisation, valuation negotiation and liability management.
- Advice to not-for-profit organisations to help understand pension scheme risk and negotiate with trustees (and their advisers) to achieve a sustainable outcome. Feedback in a number of cases acknowledged benefit of seeking to reach an acceptable long-term solution rather than “point scoring”.
- Development of new business opportunities and client development activities.
- Responsible for leadership of Client Director team covering Midlands and Southwest areas in previous role.
Jane is one of a small group of Partner’s who undertake client reviews. Jane is also a member of Barnett Waddingham’s Finance Committee.