Chris advises a range of UK businesses and Charities on defined benefit (DB) pension issues including risk transfer exercises, scheme funding and change exercises. He also acts as Scheme Actuary to a number of clients.
Chris is a Partner in our specialist Risk Transfer team and has significant experience of helping manage bulk annuity transactions with insurance companies across a range of scheme sizes and complexities. He has advised on small single insurer exercises as well as larger multi-insurer processes involving a range of UK based insurers.
Chris’ personal approach combined with a proactive attitude has helped him to become a trusted consultant to a wide range of UK and multi-national businesses. He is often praised for his communication style and his ability to present complex matters in straightforward language.
- supported a number of schemes with bulk annuity matters. This includes considering the feasibility of a potential transaction, developing a framework to approach the market and securing benefits with an insurer
- provision of Scheme Actuary services to several DB schemes up to £250 million and assisting trustees to develop longer-term plans for their schemes
- support to a significant number of independent schools, including considering their options in the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (and the Scottish equivalent), as well as Support Staff pension and benefit matters. This is connected to Chris’ wider expertise of Non-Associated Multi-Employer Schemes (NAMES)
- assisting sponsors consider their strategic plans (short and long term) for their scheme and options such as de-risking, including carrying out feasibility assessments and implementation of some member option exercises
- assessment of risks and options for employers who participate in NAMES. Chris has supported employers who participate in TPT Retirement Solutions (Growth Plan, CARE Scheme, ISPS, SHPS, SHAPS), Church Workers Pension Fund, Plumbing and Mechanical Services (UK) Industry Pension Plan and the Motor Industry Pension Plan
Chris has supported clients in discussions with senior company board members, Governors, other advisers and trustees in connection with pension matters, as well as communication with individual scheme members.
He has managed a number of large projects, including bulk annuity transactions, complex valuation negotiations and member option exercises.