Chris advises a range of UK businesses on defined benefit (DB) pension issues including risk reduction exercises, scheme funding, insurance transactions and accounting disclosures. He also acts as Scheme Actuary to a number of clients.
He has developed particular expertise of Non-Associated Multi-Employer Schemes (NAMES) and heads up our services to employers who participate in NAMES. A number of these employers are in the charity and not-for profit sectors and Chris sits on our charities working group as the employer advice expert.
Chris is also a member of the specialist bulk-annuity team helping manage transactions with insurance companies for buy-ins and buy-outs.
Chris’ personal approach combined with a proactive attitude has helped him to become a trusted consultant to a wide range of UK and multi-national businesses. He is often praised for his communication style and his ability to present complex matters in straightforward language.
- assisting sponsors consider their strategic plans (short and long term) for their scheme and options such as de-risking, including carrying out feasibility assessments for a variety of liability management exercises.
- implementation of liability management exercises such as Transfer Value exercises
- assessment of risks and options for employers who participate in NAMES. Chris has supported employers who participate in TPT Retirement Solutions (Growth Plan, CARE Scheme, ISPS, SHPS, SHAPS), Church Workers Pension Fund, Plumbing and Mechanical Services (UK) Industry Pension Plan and the Motor Industry Pension Plan
- supported clients in discussions with senior company board members, other advisers and trustees in connection with pension matters, and communication with individual scheme members
- provision of Scheme Actuary services to several DB schemes up to £250 million
Chris has supported a number of schemes with bulk annuity matters. This includes considering the feasibility of a potential transaction, developing a framework to approach the market and securing benefits with an insurer.
He has managed a number of large projects, including bulk annuity transactions, complex valuation negotiations and transfer value exercises.