Chris advises a range of UK businesses on defined benefit (DB) pension issues including risk reduction exercises, scheme funding, insurance transactions and change exercises. He also acts as Scheme Actuary to a number of clients.
He has been heavily involved in support to a number of independent schools, including considering their options in the Teachers’ Pension Scheme (and the Scottish equivalent). This is connected to Chris’ expertise of Non-Associated Multi-Employer Schemes (NAMES) where he heads up our services to employers who participate in NAMES. A number of these employers are in the charity and not-for profit sectors and Chris sits on our charities working group as the employer advice expert.
Chris is also a member of the specialist bulk-annuity team helping manage transactions with insurance companies for buy-ins and buy-outs.
Chris’ personal approach combined with a proactive attitude has helped him to become a trusted consultant to a wide range of UK and multi-national businesses. He is often praised for his communication style and his ability to present complex matters in straightforward language.
- assisting sponsors consider their strategic plans (short and long term) for their scheme and options such as de-risking, including carrying out feasibility assessments for a variety of liability management exercises and implementation of some member option exercises
- supporting a significant number of independent schools across England and Scotland to consider their pension provision for teaching and non-teaching staff
- supported a number of schemes with bulk annuity matters. This includes considering the feasibility of a potential transaction, developing a framework to approach the market and securing benefits with an insurer
- assessment of risks and options for employers who participate in NAMES. Chris has supported employers who participate in TPT Retirement Solutions (Growth Plan, CARE Scheme, ISPS, SHPS, SHAPS), Church Workers Pension Fund, Plumbing and Mechanical Services (UK) Industry Pension Plan and the Motor Industry Pension Plan
- provision of Scheme Actuary services to several DB schemes up to £250 million and assisting trustees to develop longer-term plans for their schemes
Chris has supported clients in discussions with senior company board members, Governors, other advisers and trustees in connection with pension matters, as well as communication with individual scheme members
He has managed a number of large projects, including bulk annuity transactions, complex valuation negotiations and member option exercises.