Matt is investment consultant to defined benefit (DB) and trust based defined contribution (DC) schemes. He advises both trustees and employers on investment strategy, pension economics, manager selection and implementation under a variety of governance models.
Matt runs the economics team at Barnett Waddingham who are responsible for research into capital markets and our market outlook literature. He also has a wealth of experience in strategy setting, manager selection, liability hedging, long-term investment de-risking and DC work.
His reputation for providing clear advice has helped him to become a well-known and trusted advisor to a wide range of pension schemes and professionals. He has significant experience in devising and implementing successful liability hedging solutions.
- inventive design of liability hedging mechanism reduced the hedging cost by £10m for a client
- design and implementation of successful risk reduction strategies built around affordability; working with trustees and companies to build appropriate solutions
- manager selection, monitoring and review
- investment aspects of buy-in transactions including the design of an asset strategy
- advising employers of the investment aspects of their pension arrangements