Alex heads up our Investment Consulting practice and is responsible for setting the direction for the firm’s approach to investment for our clients. He has developed a leading team of over 90 consultants dedicated to meeting and surpassing the expectations of over 450 investment clients whilst maintaining a close, personal involvement with client issues through his portfolio. The team now oversees more than £70 billion in assets collectively.
Alex is also involved in shaping the future development of Barnett Waddingham as a member of our Management Board.
Alex’s wide range of investment consultancy experience includes Defined Benefit (DB) and Defined Contribution (DC) scheme investment strategy design, manager selection, as well as liability hedging and long-term investment de-risking. This experience has been gained over many appointments to both DB and DC pension schemes.
Prior to being the head of our Investment Consulting practice, Alex led the DC investment consultancy team at Barnett Waddingham.
Alex’s appointments have included working on some of the largest pension schemes in the UK, including several well-known, large master trusts and a number of standalone schemes. His DC experience incorporates scheme sizes from £1 million up to £5 billion and with membership into the millions of members. In addition, Alex has a number of appointments to DB schemes, ranging in size up to £1 billion. This range of experience enables him to tailor solutions to schemes with varying governance needs and to share best practice across both DB and DC clients.
- advising scheme managers/trustees on DC scheme design taking account of individual scheme circumstances/constraints
- advising DC master trusts on strategy, scheme design and governance
- investment strategy work including the design and implementation of de-risking frameworks
- design and implementation of LDI strategies, including trigger-based implementation approaches, for large and small clients
- advising schemes on the merit or otherwise of asset-backed contribution structures, including successful implementation in appropriate circumstances